Tuesday 9 November 2010

Bungee Wall - my metaphor for yo-yo dieting

I went through a process called 'Clean Language' with myself the other day. It is a way of creating a picture/metaphor of what is and what I would like. Doing it with myself is not that easy as having somebody else asking the questions but I came up with a great metaphor for my yo-yo weight loss experience.

I imagined one of those bungee walls where you are attached to a strong rubber band and are really excited the first time you get on it. At the end of the line, there is that dress, that look, that image I want to achieve when I have lost all the weight.

And off I go..... . Euphorically I start moving forward. The bouncy castle kind of surface is wobbly but the bungee is not stretched yet and I move forward without too many problems. Lots and LOTS of people are doing the same. Everybody has dreams and hopes to arrive at the end and claim the coveted prize of the perfect look/feel.
It gets a little harder but not impossible, some start falling down already and slight back of those some get up and move forward again and some just shake their heads and move away.

I am still there determined, but it is getting harder the further I go forward. My thoughts are not helping, it is getting harder. Outside the bungee wall people seem to be enjoying themselves effortlessly and I have to work so bloody hard.
And it is getting harder I am not only struggling with the bungee cord but with the thoughts that are holding me back.

But I have made quite some progress and my thoughts are telling me I deserve a rest. I think I can just sit down at the point I have got to and stay there. I am strong enough to keep the bungee cord in the same place. Not true......... I am starting to slight back and can not seem to find enough grip to stop the slight back. The bungee cord reverses the energy and rushes me back to not only the beginning but shoots me through the wall a little bit further back then when I had started. I feel powerless and dejected until the day I find the strength to start the whole process again.

Doing the same thing over and over again is a form of madness of course. But that is what I and so many other people do when we are dieting.

I would like to replace that picture with something better. Dragging on a bungee cord is no fun and kind of impossible in the long run. That is what I will work on this week.

No comments: