Monday 25 April 2011

Make your own meal replacement shake

I have had my fair share of these meal replacement drinks and they tend to have one or two things in common: artificial flavours, some sort of sweetener and funky E ingredients and stabilizers. In general the shakes are too sweet for me and do not get me started on the taste of most soups. So I am making my own and becoming quit a whizz at it.

Meal replacement shake recipe
Your protein powder of choice ( I use pea protein and have gotten used to the taste)
plus
organic low fat milk or Soy Milk or my preference: Rice Milk
plus often
a teaspoon of good dark chocolate powder
plus
frozen cherries or a banana or mint leaves or any fruit of your choice
optional
a squirt of Agave Nectar if it is a little bland


I tried a couple of days ago a shake with a spoon full of organic peanut butter - yummmm. Very satisfying!

The advantages are obvious:
  • Taste
  • Price
  • Quality
In summary, don't buy pre-made meal replacement shakes. You can do so much better without much work. Get yourself a magic bullet, a tub of protein powder (plain, you do not want to be adding those artificial sugars again) and some choice ingredients.

Of coursehis works with meal replacement soups as well!

Meal replacement soup recipe
Cook a vegetable soup (pea, cauliflower and almonds or tomato are my current favourites)
fill a magic bullet cup with your soup
add a spoon full of protein powder and
mix

The taste will be so much better than any of the stuff you can buy and taste SOOOOOO much better. You can freeze it in individual portions too.

No comments: